Contributor: The Nerd
As always happen this time of year, the Nerd time is short on time and long on stressors. In lieu of publishing a midweek Nerdsletter, we're devoting no more than 30 minutes this to share as much info as we can.
District A-1 at Columbus does not appear to have links, but here are the rest of the links for Districts on Tuesday:
A1 Columbus - you can follow the following Twitter accounts for results info: PrepRunningNerd, https://twitter.com/CoachSanderCHS or https://twitter.com/CDiscoverersTF
A3 Lincoln https://live.athletic.net/meets/23881
A4 Westside https://live.athletic.net/meets/22930
B1 Platteview https://live.athletic.net/meets/24172
B2 Elkhorn https://results.blacksquirreltiming.com/meets/21552
B4 Boone Central https://live.athletic.net/meets/23657
B6 Ogallala https://live.athletic.net/meets/24681
Live video streaming
A2 Kearney https://striv.tv/channel/kearney/
A4 Westside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GjwQ6ery5g
State qualifying rules
In general, 24 individuals and 16 relay teams qualify for each event at State. However... that's way too general of a description. Check out the detailed rules at https://www.preprunningnerd.com/post/23qualify.
It's championship season; leave no room for fear or doubt
We originally wrote "No Room for Fear or Doubt" in 2021 for the cross country season. However, the article applies equally well to track and field. It's been viewed thousands of times, and more than a few XC competitors have written 'No room for fear or doubt' on their arms or legs. If you're stressed out about Districts or State, or know someone who is, we highly recommend this article at https://www.preprunningnerd.com/post/no-room-for-fear-or-doubt.
Every three or four weeks we catch up with Rich Barnett, the extraordinary sports radio beast in McCook. Last Friday's week's interview covered state records, state records under threat, State qualifying, wind gauges, fear and doubt, and Rich's experience with T&F in his role as a father. Here's the link to the interview:
Top 15 charts
Nerd the Third has the Top 15 charts updated for 99% of meets held through Saturday, 5/6. You can review the rankings at https://www.preprunningnerd.com/rankings.
The Nerd team has had more than its share of sorry and medical issues this week, so we're a bit lean on Districts coverage. Tentative plans subject to work, family and life changes:
A1 Columbus - Nerd
A3 Lincoln - Nerd Ricky Bobby and Nerd Dawg
A4 Westside - Nerd the Third
B2 Elkhorn - Nerd HD
B3 Waverly - Nerdka
C4 Hartington - Nor'easter Nerd
C8 Southern Valley - High Mileage Nerd
D9 Creek Valley - CW Nerd
We will have occasional social media posts (Twitter and Facebook) from Columbus, and Nerd the Third might tweet from Westside.
We have now shot photos at over 80 meets since March 17, including college, high school, junior high and USATF. The quickest way to find them is to review the list on our website at https://www.preprunningnerd.com/2022; links to all of the Facebook albums are included on that page. As of Monday 5/8, I think the only album not posted are the Metro JV photos from May 5. Nerd Dawg hit four meets last week so he's been working non-stop to post all of them.
We continued to compile meet results through last Saturday, and we're guessing that we found results for 98.2% of the meets of which we were aware. You can find all of these results, including results that never made it to athletic.net, at https://www.preprunningnerd.com/trackresults.
Midwest Night of Stars
The local track scene is not over after State. In addition to the normal USATF summer schedule, Nebraska Wesleyan is hosting its inaugural Midwest Night of Stars meet on Saturday, June 3. It's intended to attract top talent from Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Colorado and South Dakota. The top 16 applicants for each event will be accepted for this unique evening event at Wesleyan's track. Here's the link for more info: https://nwusports.com/documents/2023/3/27/Midwest_Nigh_of_Stars_-_Meet_Info.pdf. Here's the registration link: https://www.directathletics.com/meets/track/75344.html.
We don't plan our lives more than seven days in advance, but I'm guessing that a Nerd will be on hand to take some sweet pictures.
We have a new addition to the camp list from last week:
* Cozad High School is hosting a one-day cross country camp on July 11 from 9:00-2:30. Speakers include collegiate coaches Matt Beisel (Concordia), Brad Jenny (Doane), Ryan Mahoney (Hastings), and Brady Bonsall (UNK). The flyer for the camp is linked here.
* David Ramsey is again hosting a Cross Country Running Camp in Pueblo Colorado on July 9-16. I don't have any experience with the camp but a number of Nebraska runners have attended the camp in the pre-COVID era. Here is the link for that camp.
* The Eyes Up camp led by Coach Chris Gannon at Creighton has two two-days sessions: an elite camp on July 17-18 and a second camp on July 24-25. You might even have Nerd the Third as a camp counselor. Go to www.eyesup.run for more information.
* Homer High School is hosting a one-day camp on July 13. Speakers include Creighton coaches Chris Gannon and Matthew Fayers and Mount Marty's Dan Fitzsimmons. Click here for more information and the registration form.
* The Fellowship of Christian Athletes hosts a very popular camp June 13-16 in Kearney. A lot of distance running friendships have started here, and we know a few collegiate athletes who have been counselors there. For more info, go to https://search.fcacamps.org/CampDetail.aspx?ID=9389. Another link is https://www.omahafca.org/camp#DistanceCamp.
* Millard South is hosting a track camp June 13-15 and a cross country camp June 19-21 for kids through 8th grade. More info at https://sites.google.com/a/mpsomaha.org/ms-track-field/camps.
* Nebraska Wesleyan is holding a camp on June 2, the day before the Midwest Night of Stars meet. Here's the link: https://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/student-life/athletics/camps/high-school-track-and-field-camp.
* Westside Middle School is the location for a K-6 camp every Tuesday and Thursday from May 30th through June 29th. More info at https://www.westvalleytrack.com/?fbclid=IwAR2teWrQGIlQAF_jkVT6ggaMwzTtInhVHhnS5jHfgmcgBxFmf1JWti_Rgj0.
* Anselmo-Merna coach Caleb Franklin is offering a speed camp this June and July. More information is available at https://quantum-athletes.com/
* Terry Glenn at Norfolk Catholic offers a pole vault camp and a youth track camp. Registration at https://register.ryzer.com/camp.cfm?ID=247094&fbclid=IwAR0WeEfkZ4o2Jo3Rip5xY3XHWAnlQaZORgzQHWlHe2e_CNLlvJN12p6-Zhc.
Live the Nerd life
We had to purchase more gear because our Nerd team has expanded so quickly, and that means that we'll be adding sweatshirts and more black t-shirts to our inventory. We didn't buy many but look for them to be added over the weekend. Our store is at https://www.preprunningnerd.com/shop. Do we do this to make a profit? Heck no. Mrs. Nerd has seen the books and she's not happy.
********* First published at www.preprunningnerd.com by Jay Slagle on May 8, 2023. Like this coverage of Nebraska high school distance running? There's more of this at www.preprunningnerd.com. Check out the Blog tab for our frequent stories, the Articles tab for long-form articles, the Results tab for every Nebraska high school race we can find, and the Rankings tab for top-15 performances in each event. If you want to see meet photos or just need to kill a few hours on social media, follow us on Twitter and Instagram @PrepRunningNerd or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/preprunningnerd. Finally, if you think runners, jumpers and throwers are the best things on earth, you'll enjoy our two most popular articles. In 2018 we published "The Runner with the Broken Heart" about a high school boy who finished last in nearly every race he ran. In 2022 we published, "The Fall and Rise of Emmett Hassenstab," a story about a high school triple jumper who became a quadrapalegic after a swimming accident.